Immigration Issues/K-1 visa


My fiance is British and I'm American. We wanted to have our wedding at my parents house in the US but are moving to the UK immediately afterwards. Do we apply for a K-1 visa even though my fiance isn't planning to stay in the US?

I don't see why you would bother? He can come over on a waiver visa and just get married. As long as he does not want to live here or work here there is no need to do so.

And even if he did (let's say you both change your mind) it would be better to just file for an immediate relative petition after the marriage along with an adjustment of status application. I cannot think for the life of me why you would want to file a K-1 under any conditions.

Good Luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.