Immigration Issues/L2 EAD

I am on L2 and I would like to know whether I can work on this visa without an EAD. I do have a SSN. I am seeing contradictory answers to this questions in the web.

Could you please reply with right information?

Thanks a lot.

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear MB,

You are not allowed as an L-2 to work without an EAD.  I repeat - YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WORK WITHOUT AN EAD.

Your must apply for the EAD and you must not take any type of employment before the EAD is approved and issued to you.  Expect that it will take up to 90 days.

Again, do not work without the EAD.  L-2s are eligible for the EAD, also commonly called the EAD, but you are not allowed to work without the EAD.  It does not matter if you have a SSN.

If you need help requesting the EAD from USCIS, you can hire an immigration attorney even if he/or she did not do the initial L-1 for your spouse.  Also make sure that attorney does not charge you an arm and a leg for the EAD application! It's a straightforward application, but you do want to get it done right, otherwise it could take much longer than 90 days.

Thank you for your question.  I hope this clarifies things for you.

Eileen Chun-Fruto

Eileen Chun-Fruto

I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).

I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.