You are here:

Immigration Issues/filing for my husband maother


hi i am a us citizen by nutralization,my husband and i got married and i pettion for him, he was issue a 2 year conditional green card, do u think that he or i can file for his mother who is not in the usa or do we have to wait until he receive his 10 year green card in order to do so, or can i file for her

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Tina,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, neither you nor your husband can apply for his mother.  In fact, only your husband is able to apply for your mother in law and that cannot happen until he naturalizes.  The immigration law does allow for you as an in-law to petition for his mother.  But your husband can, *once he becomes a citizen.*

If he got his greencard through your marriage, then make sure he applies for naturalization upon the third year after getting his greencard.  He does not need to wait for 5 years which is the case for other greencard holders.

Whether or not he has the 10 year greencard is not the issue.  It's when he becomes a naturalized citizen.

Good luck

Eileen Chun-Fruto

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Chun-Fruto


I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).


I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

Awards and Honors
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

Past/Present Clients
My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]