Immigration Issues/filing for my husband maother

Question
hi i am a us citizen by nutralization,my husband and i got married and i pettion for him, he was issue a 2 year conditional green card, do u think that he or i can file for his mother who is not in the usa or do we have to wait until he receive his 10 year green card in order to do so, or can i file for her

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Tina,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, neither you nor your husband can apply for his mother.  In fact, only your husband is able to apply for your mother in law and that cannot happen until he naturalizes.  The immigration law does allow for you as an in-law to petition for his mother.  But your husband can, *once he becomes a citizen.*

If he got his greencard through your marriage, then make sure he applies for naturalization upon the third year after getting his greencard.  He does not need to wait for 5 years which is the case for other greencard holders.

Whether or not he has the 10 year greencard is not the issue.  It's when he becomes a naturalized citizen.

Good luck

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto