Immigration Issues/Aplly for H4 when H1b pending?approved

Question

I live in outside and will be getting married in july.
My fiancee is working in the US on H1B visa.

I would like to apply for my H1B FY2010. Also since my fiancee is working in US I would also go there after marriage in H4.

Can I apply for H4 (in jul )after applying for my H1B now ?
What are the complications that might arise at this moment.
Will my H1B be void if I apply for H4 once the approval notice for H1B has arrived ?

What is the best way in this situation ?

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Mary,

You may enter on an H-4 after getting married in July.  However, you are correct in that having a pending H-1B may make it difficult for you to enter.  You will just have to assure the border agent at the airport of entry that you will return to your home country to process the H-1B if and when it is approved.  

I have heard that some border agents are pretty reasonable about that, others will turn you away and make you go back and wait for your H-1B to be approved and tell you to come back with the H-1B visa.  It's entirely up to their discretion.

Lastly, your H-1B will not be void even if you are in H-4 status.   What really happens is that you are H-4 status with an approved H-1B petition but have not asked for H-1B status.  That in itself is a complicated concept.  Perhaps you want to hire an attorney to do this correctly for you to make sure that you get what you need and with the correct timing.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7  

Eileen Chun-Fruto