You are here:

Immigration Issues/Follow up question on L1 visa and marriage


Thanks Ms Fruto! your answer to my previous question really gave me a relief! If you don't mind I have a follow up question for you...
1. What is an L1 blanket visa? if we are on that kind of visa do we still have to appear at the embassy?
1. My soon to be husband is accepted for a job at KSA, he may be leaving soon before i am asked to appear at the embassy for my L1, is it okay to just declare that I am married (which is probably my status by the time of my appearance) but file for his L2 later on? Like when i am already in the US and he is in the KSA?
3. Should i change my name in all my documents and carry his last name after marriage? Honestly, his last name is too common and my first name is common as well, for that reason i still want to use my own last name even if we are married, is it possible?

Thanks again, Ms. Fruto for your time. Good to know that you are married to a Filipino. It makes me feel so at ease to ask you questions about stuff about Philippines and US immigration.

Maraming salamat po!

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Jas,

You are welcome.

As for an L-1 blanket visa, it is only available for major companies that will sponsor large numbers of L-1s at one time, and the company can pre-qualify to transfer L-1s under one petition.  The application is done on a special form and the company must have 3 or more branches, subsidiaries, or affiliates and have annual sales of $25 million and a US workforce of 1000 or more or have at least 10 L-1 petition approvals in the last year.

All other L-1 requirements are also relevant.

As for your husband accepting a job, you should report your marital status as whatever it is on that date.  Even if you are in the US and he is not yet, you can still go back to the Embassy in Manila with him with your marriage certificate and then request his L-2 at that time.

As for changing your name, it can make things a little easier, but it's not necessary.  You could also try to hyphenate your name, if you think it will help.  What really matters is that you have your documentation ready so that if you need to prove you are married, you have your marriage license to prove it, regardless of whatever name you use.

Kind regards,
Eileen Chun-Fruto  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Chun-Fruto


I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).


I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

Awards and Honors
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

Past/Present Clients
My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.

©2017 All rights reserved.