Immigration Issues/H1B1 to Green Card

Question
Hi Ajay,
I am a Singaporean and currently on a H1B1 Visa Status.  I would like to find out if I self-petitioned for a green card (with 3 dependents):
a) will my current H1B-1 status forbids me to apply for green card?

b) If yes, does it mean that I have to apply for a traditional H1B visa?  What's the difficulty and cost?

c) Can I start to apply for green-card now through an attorney, like you, and what's the estimated cost and time (for Singaporean)?  

Thanks,
Bryan

Answer

The regular method of sponsorship through employment is initiated with the filing of an application for alien employment certification (also known as PERM) by your employer as per http://h1b1.com/laborcert.htm

Self-petitioning through either employment-based first preference category (EB-1), or through the second preference category with National Interest Waiver (NIW), is a very arduous process for which very few are truly qualified: http://h1b1.com/EB1.htm

Moreover, the H1B1 category (as opposed to H1B visa category) does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S. and therefore you should not self-petition until you change your status to H1B. Please speak with your employer about its willingness to support you by filing an H1B petition.

You may contact our law firm at info@h1b1.com for issues such as cost of legal services.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora