Immigration Issues/L1 visa and marriage

Question
Hi Ms. Eileen! I'm in the Philippines, I have heard that my company is currently processing my L1 visa, I donít know how far theyíve gone with it or if they really have started the application process (company won't disclose). The problem is Ií m getting married within the months of may to july ( I still donít know the exact date ). Now, since my company is processing the l1 visa while Iím on single status, is it possible to go to the US without changing my status yet even if I get married before or after the approval of my visa? Can I still get my husband? Will it work if I do my paperworks regarding change of status from single to married when I reach the US then petition my husband for L2?

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Hello Jas,

In your case, you can still apply for your visa after the L-1 petition gets approved.  If you are married at the time that you apply for the visa at the Embassy in Manila, then you can also apply for your husband's L-2 visa.  (And the great thing about the L-2 visa is that he can work in the US - but you must apply for a work permit after he enters the US).

It's puzzling to me that your company won't tell you what is going on with the application process, especially given that you are trying to schedule your wedding and your life!

By the way, no where in the initial petition for L-1 status is there any mention of your marital status.  It's irrelevant until you apply for your visa at the Embassy.  If you are single at that time, then tell them so.  If you are married, then submit an application for your husband's L-2.

Happy Kasal.  (My husband is Filipino)  I hope it all works out for you.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7  

Eileen Chun-Fruto