Immigration Issues/Resident divorced from U.S. citizen

Question
I am English and married an american I have been married for 4 years and our marriage unfortunately upon agreement of both parties our marriage has come to an end. If I file for divorce will this effect my living in this country I do have my permanent Green Card. And do I have to inform Immigration.

Answer

Since you are a permanent resident, divorce will not affect your immigration status in the U.S., and you are not required to notify the USCIS.

The only impact will be that you must wait a minimum of 5 years from the "resident since" date noted on the resident card before the naturalization application can be filed in case you are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora