Immigration Issues/Spouse Immigration


First of all -- thank you for this service. It is extremely wonderful of you.
I am an American citizen. If I marry my boyfriend (Senegalese citizen) abroad (Senegal), and then he enters the country on his visitor visa, can we then request that he stay and get his green card? Or if he enters the US on his visitor visa, and we get married, what happens if we request his green card then ?


Do not get married abroad and then try to do it here. That would be a disaster.

It would be better to have him come to the USA legally, and then get married here. It would be wise of him to not mention the marriage at the airport because he would be technically entering under false pretense and could be turned away. However, once he has legally entered, there will be no problem with getting married and starting the process here.

If he cannot get a visitor's visa, then you should petition for him as a fiance, and have him legally enter. You will then have a certain amount of time to get married, and then present the paperwork to get a green card.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.