Immigration Issues/A converted status requirements

Question
Hi. I am presently in Chicago.
I came in to the country as a tourist(H1B1 i think), and then I had it converted into a F1 student visa beacause i liked the schools here. I am 18 years old by the way.
My question is, i am on summer break and would like to go back to my home country for vacation (kenya) then return in time for my semester (fall). Since I converted my status here in the US, I dont have anything on my passport.Is it risky to go back home-will they denie me entry into the US? Also, what docs do i need(signed I20...etc?)? Should i not take the chance? I really want to go hoe and see my family, but if the risk is too much should i just stay? I paid for my tuition for the fall semester and have transcripts, letter from school, and bank stats sponsoring me. I also have the conversion status papers i.e- F1 and I94 (they are just pieces of papers the immigration gave me)
PS: my status does not expire until i complete my edu here as stated in my F1 paper...
Need some intellectual advice-Thanks!!  

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Rameez,

There are always risks when a person travels home to get a new visa stamp in their passport.  If you are not clear on what status you initially came here on, then you really need to figure that out before you travel.  The Embassy in Kenya will want to review your immigration status and of course, has the discretion to deny the visa if they believe you don't have what is called "non-immigrant intent."

You should talk to an attorney who can help you review your entire status history in the US and give you a better assessment of your chances.  But remember, there is no right to an attorney during your visa interview in Kenya and despite what an American attorney thinks will happen, you will be at the mercy of the interviewing officer at the Consulate or Embassy.

It does sound like you are in status in the US while you are here, but getting a visa stamp is an entire other process.  the Embassy could easily try to deny your case if they believed that you were not a true tourist when you initially entered and that you switched over to your F-1 too quickly.  I do not know the facts of your case, so I can't really comment, but those are typical reasons why F-1 visa applicants are usually denied.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto