Immigration Issues/I-130 petition denied

Question
Last year, I applied for the I 130 for my son. In January of this year, USCIS sent a notice requesting for additional information and evidence. They gave 30 days for the information to be sent. Unfortunately, the 30 days elapsed and the evidence was not sent in by the due date. Is it possible for this case to proceed if I send in the information that is needed? They sent another notice explaining that the case is denied due to abondonment. What is the best way for me to continue with this case? I have all the information that was needed. Also, can an aunt who is a U.S. citizen apply for I 130 for a nephew? Does she have to adopt him or can just petition for him as an aunt? The nephew's parents died and he is living with his aunt.

Answer

I recommend filing a new I-130 petition. A previous denial will not negatively effect the filing of a new petition. You will be required to pay the USCIS filing fee again.

An aunt cannot sponsor a nephew. The family sponsorship categories are noted here: http://h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora