Immigration Issues/L1 to F1 to apply for OPT

Question
I changed my status from H1B to L1A last year. Altogether I have been in Us for 4 years 5 months now.

I am going to start my fulltime comp sc MS this fall while I am on L1 and working. So after three semester ( roughly 1.5 years, when my total stay will be 6 years by then on H1 and L1A) can I change my status to F1 and apply for OPT so that I can continue to stay and work here in US?

I heard that I have to be atleast one academic year full time student on F1 to be eligible for OPT.

Is this right? or the statement should be like "I have to be atleast one academic year full time student on F1 to be eligible for OPT but to apply for OPT I need to be on F1 status"

For e.g - I start my fulltime MS september 2009, so at the end of spring semester of 2010, if I change my status to F1 will I be eligible for OPT ?

I would really appreciate your help on this.

Answer

You can change to F1 status after completing an aggregate of six years in H1B/L1A. However, you will not be eligible for OPT unless you are a full-time student on F1 status for at least one academic year. Thus, being on L1A or H1B while studying and then applying for OPT is not allowed.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora