Immigration Issues/L1 to L2 conversion

Question
I'm currently working on a L1 visa. My I-94 has expired and I have applied for an extension. My company has received an RFE notice. My spouse is also working and is on an L1 visa. I have a few questions:

1. Can I convert to an L2 while my petition for extension is still pending?
2. Can I apply for L2 and EAD at the same time?
3. Is it a problem to apply for L2 since my I-94 has expired?
4. Will I need to leave the country to make the L2 effective?  

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear D,

1.  Yes.
2.  Unfortunately, no.
3.  Possibly.  the USCIS may want to adjudicate the L-1 extension before granting the L-2.
4.  Instead of asking for an L-2 change of status, you can leave the US and go abroad for the L-2 visa.

Upon entry on the L-2 visa, you can apply for the EAD.  In all, if you are able to travel, not afraid of doing this via consular processing, that may be the faster way to get an EAD.

Good luck,

Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7  

Eileen Chun-Fruto