You are here:

Immigration Issues/Green Card Expire date


If I have received the green card but I have still unfinished business in my own country, can I leave the United States and go to my own country and for how long? With other words, is there a time period that I can stay outside the United States and stay in an other country without loosing the right to live in the United States? Does my green card expire if I stay for a certain period outside the United States?

You can leave to complete your unfinished business in your country. You are required to have an intent to continue being a permanent resident in United States. You can stay outside the US for a period of six months. If you wish to stay for longer than a year then you need to obtain a re-entry permit.  


Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.