Immigration Issues/Sibling I-130 petition, adjustment and travel in and out of the US

Question
My brother has become a US citizen through marriage and is considering filing a petition for permanent residency for me.  I am a Kenyan citizen and am currently here in the US on an F-1 visa.  However, I plan to complete my studies in December, leave the country, and reapply for another F-1 visa to attend law school in September 2010.  If my brother submits the petition while I'm here and then I subsequently leave while waiting for approval (which, I know, can take several years), will I be able to return on a visa?  I know that one of the questions asked on F-1 visa applications is "Has Anyone Ever Filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on Your Behalf?"  Will this work against me?  
Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond to my question!

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Hi Bella,

Good question.  The answer to this is not very clear, but it involves the concept of "dual intent," which the Embassy in Kenya will look at before they issue you another  F-1 visa to attend law school.

You must answer the question, "has anyone ever filed an immigrant visa petition on your behalf" truthfully.  You can't lie to the Embassy, but in doing so, the Embassy may question whether your intent for the F-1 is true and genuine, ie whether the F-1 visa application is truly one in which they should grant, knowing that although you are waiting for your brother's visa petition to ripen, you are an F-1 visa holder are still only seeking admission to the US for the single, one, and temporary purpose of studying, then leaving the US.

F-1 visas are considered a "single intent" visa.  Meaning that you can have only one intent in asking for the F-1.  To study.  Then you'll leave the US after your studies are complete.

Other visas, like an H-1B, or an L-1 are considered "dual intent" visas where someone has a temporary intent to come to the US for temporary work, but if they evidence having applied for a greencard or other long-term permanent intent, that is acceptable.

As with all consular interviews, you need to be truthful and honest.  How you answer your questions in line with an F-1 interview as a "single intent" visa seeker is up to you.  It is not impossible, but you have to show that even with your brother's visa application, you are still only coming to the US to study.  Nothing more.

Good luck in law school.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com
http://www.superlawyers.com/california-southern/lawyer/Eileen-Chun-Fruto/e5bf6f7

Eileen Chun-Fruto