Immigration Issues/change of status through marriage

Question
i am a student on f-1 status, completed 3 quarters lawfully, now summer off, i'm planning to be married next week with a citizen, my classes will start after one month, do i still need to attend school, while i start processing papers for my change of status, work authorization and all.Generally how long it will take to get my work authorization letter, meanwhile can i live in usa without attending school?

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Suman,

This is a question that falls into a grey area of the law.  Filing for marriage through a US citizen spouse usually gives you a quasi-status...that is to stay that it allows you to remain in the US but does not really give you a status.

If you fail to continue to go to school, you are for sure not maintaining F-1 status and so you are subject to whatever new interpretation the USCIS may give to those with this "quasi-status."  

In years past, it was hardly an issue, but now, attorneys such as myself are seeing more problems with people not maintaining any status and relying on their adjustment applications for 'status.'   Work authorizations, by the way take approximately 90 days.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com

Eileen Chun-Fruto