You are here:

Immigration Issues/spouse application for US citizinship


Dear Mark,
I was born in the US 23 years ago. My parents worked there and we stayed after my birth for 3 more years before going to my parents birth country. Hence, i currently have the American passport that i renew every couple of years. I got married several months ago, and i wanted to know what the procedures are for applying for my husband to get his passport? Is it do-able in the first place? if yes, how long does it approximately take to get it done?
Thanks alot

You cannot get your husband a US passport if he is not a US citizen.  You are by virtue of birth in the US but your husband is not.  If your husband wanted to become a US citizen he would first have to apply for a green card.  He could do this because he is married to a US citizen. Once approved he would then have to wait a few years to apply for citizenship. This is not a complicated process and any immigration attorney could help.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]