Immigration Issues/Change name in the U.S. upon marriage

Question
Hi, I'm an F-1 Student from Vietnam. I'm getting married soon and I want to change my last name to my fiance's last name. I have research through my embassy, the process to change name is rather complicated and has to be done in Vietnam. I want to know whether I can change my name when I get my marriage license here in Texas. I will change my name on my SSN, my ID, my bank account, my credit card...etc.. but keep my maiden name on my passport, I-94 and I-20. Thank you very much for your help.

Thuong N.

Answer

Yes, you can change your last name to your husband's last name at time of marriage in the U.S. At that time your legal name will be the same as your husband's last name. You will eventually want to obtain new documents with your new legal name, and to avoid identity confusion carrying a copy of the marriage certificate is normally sufficient.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora