Immigration Issues/H1 Visa

Question
Hello,

Currently, I am a teacher in a community college with my OPT visa (F-1 Visa).  Just assume that my school is not able to sponsor me for H1 visa, can I apply for H1 visa by my own?  Also, I do have a PhD degree.  Can I skip H1 visa and directly apply for a green card?  Thank you.

Answer
Christy,
You cannot apply for an H visa on your own. It can be only done through an employer.  Also there are no provisions to apply for a green card based solely on the degree obtained.  I believe that you are considering filing under the Alien of Extraordinary Ability and National Interest Waiver categories. To file under these categories you must prove that you are an outstanding researcher in your field.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan

Ramasamy Krishnan