Immigration Issues/H1 Visa



Currently, I am a teacher in a community college with my OPT visa (F-1 Visa).  Just assume that my school is not able to sponsor me for H1 visa, can I apply for H1 visa by my own?  Also, I do have a PhD degree.  Can I skip H1 visa and directly apply for a green card?  Thank you.

You cannot apply for an H visa on your own. It can be only done through an employer.  Also there are no provisions to apply for a green card based solely on the degree obtained.  I believe that you are considering filing under the Alien of Extraordinary Ability and National Interest Waiver categories. To file under these categories you must prove that you are an outstanding researcher in your field.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.