Immigration Issues/Marriage with J-1 Visa

Question
I recently got married to a girl from Russia that is here on a J-1 Visa. Her visa is set to expire at the end of November. She isn't subject to the two year rule on her visa. We are hoping that we will be able to get everything settled without her having to go back to her home country because we know that it'll be awhile before we can get everything completed so she can come back. What would be the best steps to proceed so that she will be able to stay even after her current visa expires? Thanks for your help!

Answer

All sponsorship paperwork such as Forms I-130, I-485, I-765, etc. can be filed concurrently based on marriage to a U.S. citizen. Your wife does not need to depart the U.S., although I recommend that all sponsorship paperwork be filed before her J1 status expires. She will receive employment authorization document (EAD) and will be able to adjust status in the U.S. since she is not subject to the 2-year home country requirement. The applications and petitions can be obtained from the USCIS website, but I recommend going through an attorney specializing in immigration law to maximize the probability of a smooth immigration experience for your wife.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora