Immigration Issues/divorced perminent resident?

Question
hi  i was married to my husband( us citizen) in 2003and came to the us in 2005. i received my perminent resident cadr and my social in 2006. our mariage did not last due to him having a child and wanting to be with the child's mother too. our divorce was final in 2008 but we were separated a year before that.does this change my status? my green card does have an experation date on it,2016and it also is a IR6 CATAGORY . can i still apply for citizenship?how long do i have to wait before i can do so? and can i get remarried to some one outside of the US while im a perminent resident ? if so does that affect my eligability for citizenship? should i wait untill after my citizenship?and am i alowed to travel back to my country without messing up my eligibility for citizenship?please i would realy apretiate some answeres.thank you.

Answer

You can apply for naturalization (U.S. citizenship) 4 years and 9 months from the date that it states "resident since" on your permanent resident card. If you were not divorced, you could have applied for naturalization 2 years and 9 months after the resident since date noted on your permanent resident card.

There will be no problem in applying for citizenship even though you are divorced. You can also marry again (even outside the U.S.) without a problem, and there is no minimum waiting time after divorce before remarrying.

You can travel outside the U.S., but any single absence of 180 days or more can affect filing for naturalization. Also, you would need to be physically present more than 50% of the time during the past 5 years before applying for naturalization.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora