Immigration Issues/Chainging the Visa statud from L2 to F1

Question
Hi Ram,

I am in USA on L2 Visa and I want to Peruse MPH Degree here in US. I want to Change my Visa Status from L2 to F1 so can you please advise and kindly respond to my question mentioned below

My Questions are
----------------------
1.Can i change my visa status from L2 to F1 with out travelling back to India for stamping?

2.How long will it take to process F1 (I am looking for admission in Summer Aug 2010)

3.How Complex is the Processing changing the visa to F1

4.If in case i apply for F1 and F1 get rejected then do i need leave the country or can i Stay back with my L1 Spouse

5.If I Join MPH Degree on L2 visa and if any time during my Course , in case my L1 Spouse is Returning back to India, do i need to Leave the Country immediately long with her or can i stay back continue with my rest of MPH Course.

Thanks in Advance for your Quick Response

Answer
Ravi,

1) Can i change my visa status from L2 to F1 with out travelling back to India for stamping?

YES you can

It depends on the Service Center. You need to check www.uscis.gov for the processing times.

You need to file form I-539 and provide the I-20 and financial documents. If everything is in order case will be approved.

No you continue on L-2 visa.

You need to leave the country.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan

Ramasamy Krishnan