Immigration Issues/EB-5 Visa

Question
Can entrepreneurs who are out of status in the US apply for the EB-5 Visa if their businesses meet the requirements(cash and employment).Is adjustment of status possible?

Answer
Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Lee,

No, entrepreneurs cannot adjust status if they are out of status.  You can have your business plan approved and everything but your adjustment of status will fail if you are currently out of status or have been so for more than 180 days at the time of filing.

The traditional and normal rules of adjustment of status apply as they do in all cases.  Hopefully, your being out of status has not been longer than 180 days.  If so, perhaps there is hope for a positive adjustment of status.  You should find an attorney who can review your documentation and timeline more carefully and thoroughly.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto
www.fongandchun.com
www.immigrationvisaattorneyblog.com

Eileen Chun-Fruto