Immigration Issues/H1B on overseas assignment

Question
Hi Ajay,

I am currently under H1B status.  If my employer post me on overseas assignment to Germany for 1.5 years, I would probably have to go on frequent business trips back and forth between Germany and US to ensure my H1B visa status is not violating any rules.  Can I ask what is the time allowed for me to be out of US to ensure that I do not violate any immigration rules for H1B?

Please advice.  Appreciate it.

Thanks & Best Rgds,
Bryan  

Answer

There is no minimum amount of time that you are required to be present in the U.S. in order to maintain H1B status. There will be no problem in entering the U.S. in H1B visa status.

Indeed, spending time abroad can be considered an advantage, as you can recapture the time spent abroad and add it to the aggregate limit of six-years allowed in H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora