Immigration Issues/Marriage to Green Card holder?

Question
I came in US like a tourist and I meet here my best friend from high school,we had feelings before and now we want to get marryed.he is green card holder waiting to apply for the passport.Can I marry him in US and then can we apply together for passports ? Can I stay in US while he is just a green card holder?
Is this marriage a problem for him to apply for the US passport?

Answer
Hi Abra,

You can get married, but sponsorship by a permanent resident (also known as a green card holder) will not allow you to remain in the U.S. legally; you must maintain independent nonimmigrant visa status (such as such visitor or student or other nonimmigrant visa status) until the priority date becomes current (also known as when a visa becomes available).

There is no particular advantage in this instance of being sponsored based on marriage to a permanent resident at this time. The sponsorship should wait until your husband becomes a U.S. citizen, since sponsorship by a U.S. citizen has the advantage of allowing you to remain legally in the U.S., and to receive employemnt authorization, etc., until the marriage interview by the USCIS, at which time you become a resident of the U.S. The following article from our website is helpful: www.H1B1.com/sponsor.htm

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora