Immigration Issues/self- sponsership

Can my Brazilian partner (WE want to import lumber from Brazil and export clothing to Brazil from U.S.I am a U.S. citizen)sponser himself by the business co. we plan to start so that he may travel back and forth from Brazil to U.S.Freely or should I form the company and sponser him.How to we proceed for both cases

Eileen Chun-Fruto, Los Angeles immigration attorney writes:

Dear Robert,

I think I have responded once before about E visas, but if your partner and you were to start a US company in the, you would be looking into an E-1 or E-2 visa for "treaty investors."  

Treaty investors are given visas to the US for 5 years at a time and you would qualify by showing that the US company engages in 50% or more trade with Brazil or that your US company has invested a significant amount of "monies at risk" into your investment.  

If you are interested in learning more about this type of visa or other options, you can call me or your local immigration attorney in your area that has experience in business-based visas and consular processing (which means when the applications are made outside the US).

Sorry for the late response.  I thought this response went out last month.

Good luck,
Eileen Chun-Fruto

Eileen Chun-Fruto

I can answer any employment-based immigration question including questions about PERM labor certifications, H-1B skilled workers, L-1A multinational managers or executives and L-1B specialized knowledge, R-1 and I-360 religious workers, investor cases (E Treaty Trader and E Treaty Investors and EB-5 "million dollar investors") and O-1 extraordinary ability cases. I can also answer any questions regarding family-based immigration, such as adoptions, waiver cases, consular processing (using foreign consulates to enter as an immigrant), marriage and fiance/fiancee cases, 245(i) cases, VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act), battered spouses, and Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).

I have over 12 years of experience in business and family immigration. I was a former law clerk for the Executive Officer for Immigration Review (the immigration courts) in San Francisco and I current serve as the California Service Center's (CSC) liaison on behalf of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. I represent individuals and corporations alike, ranging from professionals in the high tech, science, liberal arts fields. I have a special niche in working with start-up companies and individuals with more complex immigration issues.

Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee on Immigration

J.D., University of California at Davis - King Hall School of Law (1997) B.A., University of California at Irvine, cum laude (1994)

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008: Selected to Southern California Rising Star - Super Lawyers List (an honor shared by no more than 2.5% of the attorneys practicing in the entire Southern California region) Faculty/Moderator on various AILA and LACBA continuing legal education seminars in the following topics: H-1B, O-1, religious workers, business immigration visas

My typical business clients can range from a start-up company, established engineering and software research and development companies, manufacturing, trade and distribution companies, public and private schools, and religious organizations. Family clients include spouses, parent-child petitions, siblings, naturalization, and most especially, representation of abandoned and neglected children viewed as orphans under the immigration law. I have represented many clients who relied on special provisions of the immigration law to preserve or "grandfather" benefits to family members in limited (and complicated) circumstances, to avoid re-application fees and longer waiting times.