Immigration Issues/H-1B visa stamping

Question
I received H-1B approval notice with the validity from 1st October 2010 to March 2013. Right now I am not in India to process my stamping. Is it possible to go for stamping sometime June 2011? Will the consulate allow it or stamping has to be done immediately?

Thanks,

regards,
raj

Answer

If you are in the U.S. and H1B approval states that you were granted change of status, then you are automatically in H1B status on October 01 and you do not need to depart the U.S. at all. An unexpired H1B visa status in your passport is required only for entering the U.S. from foreign travel abroad.

If you are not in the U.S., you can apply for H1B visa stamp from a U.S. Consulate anytime prior to H1B approval notice expiration in March, 2013.

If you want to keep your options open in case the U.S. employer requires your services on short notice, it is probably a good idea to obtain the H1B visa stamp from the U.S. Consulate now. This allows you the choice to enter the U.S. anytime prior to March, 2013 without having to spend time applying for H1B visa stamp (as it is already in your passport).

Ajay K. Arora