Immigration Issues/H1B &Marriage

Question

Fremont, CA
I have been terminated for my H-1B visa about 1week ago. My
boyfriend (US citizen) and I have been together for over a
year. We are thinking to get married. I was told I can get
married to stay. Since this is such a rush, we won't be able
to do a formal wedding. Do I need to have a ceremony and a
formal wedding now? Or will it be ok if we just go to city
hall to get our marriage certificate then file the required
forms right away? I appreciate all your help and
suggestions.

Answer

It is OK to have a simple civil ceremony and for the sponsorship paperwork to be filed based on legal marriage. There is certainly no religious component required in the ceremony in order for it to be a bona fide marriage.

After marriage, all petitions and applications should be filed concurrently, including the immigrant petition, adjustment of status, employment authorization and advance parole document applications, biographic questionnaires, affidavit of support, etc. with correct supporting documents and proper filing fee to the appropriate USCIS office. Even though your I-94 has expired, you will be able to remain and adjust status in the U.S. based on marriage to a U.S. citizen. The following article from our website may be helpful: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

You can call our law firm at 212-268-3580 during business hours or email info@h1b1.com for guidance.

Ajay K. Arora