Immigration Issues/H1B and green card lottery

Question
Hi Ajay,

Thank you for your expertise on immigration issue for the public.
The company I'm working for is planning to apply an H1b visa for me in
the coming months. Currently, I've learned I also am eligible for the green
card lottery. My question is will entering the green card lottery in anyway
effect the process of my H1b application in the government system after
submitting the application? The submission of the H1b application will be
a month after the lottery deadline which ends at beginning of November.
Thanks for your help!

Sean

Answer

The green card lottery is totally independent of the H visa category. In addition, H visa category is a dual-intent visa, and thus allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S. even though it is technically a non-immigrant visa category. There will be no problem in applying for H1B after applying for the green card lottery (also known as the diversity visa lottery).

Ajay K. Arora