Immigration Issues/L2 to L1b for Spouse

Question
Hi .....I currently have an L1 Visa and am planning for an L2 Visa stamping for my husband. We both work for the same company in India X. Is it possible that my husband travel to US on L2 visa as my dependent and then from there apply for a change of status from L2 to L1 from our same Company X.Is it difficult to get the status changed from L2 to L1-B if my company is ready to sponsor his L1.  or is it advisable that my husband stays and waits in India gets his L1 Processed and then travel to US. Actually we want to travel together and therefore would prefer to travel on L2 and then process L1 from there.Thanks you for your help

Answer

There is no problem if you husband travels to the U.S. on L2 visa stamp and then his U.S. employer files an L1 petition for him. I do recommend that the company wait for at least 2 months after entry to overcome possible fraudulent entry issue which can arise if a change of status application is filed immediately after entry to the U.S.

If successfully filed, the USCIS not only approve the L1 petition but will also grant change of status from L2 to L1. Incidentally, L2 status is eligible for EAD (employment authorization document) so your husband may not be interested in L1 status at all...

Ajay K. Arora