Immigration Issues/COS from H1B to F1

Question
Dear Mr. Ajay Arora,

I am planning to change my visa status from H1B to F1 for pursuing my MBA on a fulltime basis. I have already been accepted into the university.

I have some questions regarding this -

I am aware that I will need to do a COS from H1B to F1. How long does this process take?

Can I apply for the COS online or do I need to leave the country for getting the F1 visa?

Can I do a COS to H1B again once my MBA is completed? (I currently have 3 years left on my H1B visa).

Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Ishita

Answer

It can take several months for the USCIS to approve the change of status from H1B to F1 application. Before application to change status can be filed, you should  be admitted to and issued Form I-20 by the university. I recommend maintaining H1B status (by continuing to work for the H1B employer) until change of status to F1 status is granted.

You do not need to depart the U.S. You can change back from F1 to H1B without any problem, and you will not be subject to the visa cap.

Ajay K. Arora