Immigration Issues/F1 and PERM and H4

Question
Hi Ajay,

I am currently on my OPT. My husband  is in H1B and his company filed for his PERM  on Oct 2010.

Question: Is it mandatory for me to convert to H4 or I can continue with my OPT/F1 status in order for get along with him for acquiring the Greencard when he gets on ?

Answer

It is OK for you to continue on F1 status at this time. However, when PERM is certified and your husband's company files the I-140 (petition for immigrant worker) then your name would be noted in the I-140 petition as a family member who is planning on immigrating to the U.S. Since F visa status is not compatible with an intent to immigrate to the U.S., you should consider changing to H visa status at time of I-140 filing, esp. if you are planning on traveling abroad and entering on F1 visa stamp. H visa status allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora