Immigration Issues/L1 and L2 visa together?

Question
My husband is currently in US on L1-B visa which ends on Dec 15 , 2010. But he has a valid I-94 with an end date of Nov 2013.  I hold a valid L1-B visa from my current employer valid till end of Dec -2011.

My Questions are
1) Can I have L2 - dependent visa processed for me as my Husbands L1-B visa will expire on Dec 15,2010 ( I-94 valid till 2013).
2) Can i hold both my current L1-B visa from my employer and L-2 active at the same time. As i want to travel to US on L2 visa for now and return from US and use the L-1 visa for future.
3) My employer wants me to hold L-1 visa active for future travels . Please let me know if my current L-1 visa will become void if i process and get L2 visa. Thanks.

Answer

As you can hold only one status at a time in the U.S., you will no longer hold L1B visa status when USCIS grants change of status to L2 visa status as this will be the "latest action" by the USCIS. The USCIS will grant you change of status to L2 visa status up to 2013, when your husband's I-94 expires. You are not required to depart the U.S. in order to be granted change of status to L2 visa status by the USCIS.

If you travel outside the U.S. and wish to enter on L2 visa status, you should obtain L2 visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate (in most cases in your home country). When the Consulate issues you L2 visa stamp, it is likely to void the existing L1B visa stamp in your passport. To obtain new L1B visa stamp in the future, you will need to obtain L1B visa stamp at the Consulate based on unexpired L1B approval notice (Form I-797) issued by the USCIS, but then the Consulate will likely void the L2 visa stamp in your passport.

Ajay K. Arora