Immigration Issues/Marriage to USC and green card

Question
Is the applications and the entire process for someone to get their greencard through marriage with a US citizen a difficult, complicated, and overwhelming experience that you would recommend hiring a lawyer or is it something that anyone can do themselves without difficultly and not necessary to hire an expensive lawyer?

Answer

Sponsorship through marriage to a U.S. citizen is a procedurally intensive immigration matter which can be done by the applicant, but the process can be difficult and lengthier than it need be if it is not done properly. For example, if the immigrant spouse is in the U.S. and I-130 is filed by itself without the I-485, then there is needless delay and possible violation of status of the immigrant spouse. Or if all of the supporting documentation is not submitted properly, there can be delays in adjudication of the case. Additionally, there could be immigration benefits that the sponsored spouse can obtain in the interim--and which he or she may not be aware of--while the sponsorship paperwork is being adjudicated such as employment authorization and ability to travel without jeopardizing the sponsorship application.

On the other hand, going through an attorney without substantial experience in immigration law is not helpful, either, as much depends on experience with prior filings and a general comprehension of immigration laws. You certainly have nothing to lose by contacting a few immigration lawyers and asking for information such as legal fees, etc. You can also contact our law firm directly at 212-268-3580 during business hours, or email info@h1b1.com for guidance.

Ajay K. Arora