Immigration Issues/F1 visa and traveling

Question
Hey...
I'm an international student in U.S from India. I came here in AuG 2008 and have never visited India yet. I'm planning to go to India in Feb 2011 and I want to know can Immigration authorities create any kind of problem while returning back to U.S. (i will be landing back at Chicago Airport) as I heard from here and there about second screening and I also heard that they sent back some students.... My I-20 form is valid till May 2012.. I'm scared about it and I really need your help..
Thanks !
Singh

Answer

As long as you have maintained your student status by being a full-time student, and as long as you do not have an intention to permanently immigrate to the U.S. (for example, an immigrant petition has not been filed for you), it should be OK. You should let the DSO (also known as international student advisor) at your university about your travel plans and verify whether your I-20's need to be updated, and you should also carry evidence that you have been a full-time student such as transcript and perhaps letter or other evidence from registrar that you have committed to classes for the following semester, if applicable.

Ajay K. Arora