Immigration Issues/L1 to H1 COS

Question
Hi Ajay,

I am on L1 with company A which is getting expired on 1st Feb 2011. Company B has filed my L1 to H1 COS on 7th Dec with Premium processing. I have resigned the company A on 7th Dec only and right now on notice period of 1 month.

I am supposed to receive the receipt in couple of days. Company B is asking me to join them once i receive the receipt.

If i do so would it be legal?

If i get my H1 approval before my notice period completion can company A force me to server 1 month as L1 would not be valid once i have H1 approval. So in that case can employer A legally force me to complete the notice period ?

In case of L1 to H1 COS is it mandatory to go back to India for stamping.

Thanks in advance  

Answer

You cannot be legally employed by Co. B until H1B petition is approved by the USCIS granting you change of status to H1B.

As you can hold only one status at a time in the U.S. and the latest action by the USCIS determines your status, when your H1B petition is approved granting you change of status to H1B you will no longer be in L1 status. Thus, at that point you cannot be employed by the L1 employer.

When granted change of status to H1B, you will automatically be in H1B status. You will not be required to depart the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora