Immigration Issues/L1 to H1 conversion

Question
Dear Sir

my husband has recently got his L1 stamped thru complany A which is now valid for three years and we are about to travel to US in Jan,however now he has received another luctrative offer from a good company B and they want to file H1 for him, however we do not want to loose this L1 visa which is already approved and stamped, hence request you to please let us know if we can travel to US now thru his current employer and then apply for H1 from there without having to give up the L1 until the H1b is approved or do we first need to give up current l1 and then try our luck with h1?

Answer

My recommendation is to enter the U.S. and for your husband to start working for the L1 employer. The H1B petition can be filed anytime with the USCIS by the H1B employer. If it is approved and your husband is granted change of status to H1B, then he should start working for the H1B employer. If it is not approved, there is no disadvantage since he continues to maintain underlying L1 status.

Ajay K. Arora