Immigration Issues/L1 ext. and H1B filing simultaneously

Question
Hello Ajay,

My L1B visa (and I-94) validity is till June 29, 2010. My current employer is going to process L1 extension. Simultaneously I am planning to apply for H1 (at the earliest next year-2011) through another company. So My L1 extension and H1 filing will go together.
Is it okay to apply for H1?
If I apply for H1 at the earliest in 2011, so how long will take to complete the process and get H1?
My H1 was denied  in 2006(issued 221g form and asked to produce few docs from petitioner employer), so does it impact while filing new H1 petition?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Pravin

Answer

I believe in your email that you intended to state that your L1 is expiring June 29, 2011 (not 2010). In any event, it is possible for L1 and H1B petitions to be filed by separate employers around the same time. However, if H1B petition is approved and change of status granted to H1B prior to L1 extension approval, then you will automatically be in H1B status as this will have been the "latest action" by the USCIS. It typically takes about 3 months for USCIS to approve an H1B petition after filing.

The earlier denial of visa stamp by a U.S. Consulate should not negatively impact the USCIS approval of H1B petition.

Ajay K. Arora