Immigration Issues/Lost naturalization cert.

Question
My wife moved from Canada to the US in the early 70's. This was before we were married. She says she went through the process, received her ss card and went to work. She has been working ever since, paid all her taxes and has been a law abiding citizen the whole time. Now she is at retirement age. She did not give up her Canadian citizenship and has a passport from Canada. The problem is through the years and previous marriages she has lost her naturalization papers. For her to receive her medicare benefits she must have the number off of the papers. Do you have any advice on how do go about getting a copy of the papers? Or would it better to go through the process over again? Should we seek an immigration attorney? Or would it be better to just leave well enough alone and continue with life as it is? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Answer

Your wife should file Form N565 for replacement naturalization certificate with the USCIS if medicare is not satisfied with her U.S. passport as evidence of U.S. citizenship (if she has passport): http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-565.pdf

Instructions for the Form are here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-565instr.pdf

Ajay K. Arora