Immigration Issues/Moms' Green Card - I 824 or I 485

Question
Hi Ajay,

I applied for green card for my mom when she was here. Her I 130 got approved as soon as she left to India. She will be back in April 2011. Should I apply for I 824 or wait till she get back and apply for I 485. If I apply for I 824 will be she able to come here during the process. If I apply for I 485 after coming to US can she go back to India during the process. Please advice.

Thanks,
Priya.

Answer

I assume that your mother has an unexpired visitor visa to enter the U.S.

She should not enter on her visitor visa again, as she now clearly has an intention to immigrate to the U.S., and an intent to immigrate to the U.S. is incompatible with entry on visitor visa

You should file Form I-824, which upon approval will allow the National Visa Center (NVC) to schedule an interview for your Mom at a nearby U.S. Consulate for issuance of an immigrant visa.

Ajay K. Arora