Immigration Issues/Visa waiver extension

Question
Hello, I am a US citizen living in NY and I met my boyfriend while traveling in Belgium. He is now with me living at my home in NY on a vacation visa expiring December 21st, 2010(he arrived September 21, 2010). Is it possible to extend his vacation visa? If so, how can we do this? I also heard it is possible for us to go to Canada for 72 hours (we live close to the border) and that when he comes back into the US he will get another 90 day green card. Is this true?

Thank you so much!

Answer

It appears that entry was made on the visa waiver program. If so, extension of stay is not possible in the U.S. beyond 90 days.

A short trip to Canada or Mexico and then attempted entry again to the U.S. on visa waiver program is likely to result in questions at the port-of-entry, and entry may be denied. A longer trip to Canada or Mexico prior to making another entry attempt into the U.S. on visa waiver program is more likely to be successful. The following link is helpful: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

Ajay K. Arora