Immigration Issues/Visting my boyfriend on my B1/B2 visa

Question
Hi Ajay,
I am mexican and live in Mexico. I am in a fairly new relationship with an american guy. I have a 10 year (expiring in 2017) multi-entry B1/B2 visa. I am a bit concerned to incur in a travel pattern that could make me loose my visa. I have been in the US for two and three weeks, then I have been out of the US for one month or so, then back again. What should I be careful about? Is it better for me to spend longer periods here (US) and be out longer periods, or is it better to do short trips both ways? It is too soon in the relationship to think of marriage as a solution to this.

Answer

In general, it is better to have short trips into the U.S. Longer trips and too much time spent in the U.S. raises additional questions since there is likely to be greater interruption of your life in your home country and your permanent residence in your home country with longer trips to the U.S. and thus more questions about how your employment or studies, etc. is being affected by your extended trips into the U.S.

You should be ready to answer questions at the port-of-entry about the purpose of your trip (to visit family or friends is OK, but intention to marry a U.S. citizen during your trip is not acceptable), about how you are supporting yourself financially during your trip (employment without authorization in the U.S. is not allowed), etc.

Ajay K. Arora