Immigration Issues/business on J1 visa

Question
I am on J1 visa and working/will continue to work for a university. I would like to parallel start import/export business in US, particularly trading of some products with India. Am i allowed to do so by opening a company or do i need to find a American citizen partner?

Answer

J1 visa status is employer specific, and thus you can be employed only by the university.

In general, there are no restrictions in being an investor, such as stock market, etc. and this includes investing in a business. However, being actively involved in day-to-day management, or being paid a salary or other remuneration, is considered employment and is not allowed.

Ajay K. Arora