Immigration Issues/Citizenship/Marriage.

Question
Hello thank you for taking your time to answer my question. I am a Citizen Of the US. My boyfriend isn't a citizen of the US he is Cuban.He has a Felony on his record. He didn't do any jail time he just had 2 years of probation which they terminated early. When  can he apply for citizenship? We also were looking into getting married could this maybe speed up the process of obtaining citizenship?

Thank you.

Answer
Hello Rachel:

There are several issues raised by your question.

What is your boyfriend legal status in the United States? Is he a legal permanent resident?
What was his sentence? What was the crime?
In order to be eligible for citizenship, you have to fulfill certain requirements, among which is good and moral character. Therefore, some criminal convictions may render the applicant for citizenship ineligible.
A foreign born citizen can qualify for US naturalization, if he has been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen.

Sincerely,

Annick Koloko, ESQ.
www.nyimmigrationlawyerblog.com
(representing clients in all fifty states and beyond)  

Annick Tchokonte-Koloko