Immigration Issues/H1b to Greencard


Hello and thank you for your help.

I have a few questions concerning my current H1b Status. I am on my second term (3-6 years) on my H1b set to expire in 2012. I would like to have the GC process started as soon as possible, but employer is not willing to start process till the end of this year.

My questions are:

a) Am I able to file for the GC process instead of employer?

b) What is the standard time to get the GC after filing?

c) Am I able to pay premium processing fee to expedite the GC process at all?

I truly apprecaite your help.
Regards, Lolli

You cannot file for your green card process on your own. There are certain exception such as filing under the National Interest Waiver or Alien of Extraordinary Ability categories. Generally scientists and such qualify under these categories.  

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.