Immigration Issues/Spouse Visit USA before I-130 filing?

Question
Hi Ajay,

I'm a US citizen who recently married to German Citizen ( Last month in EUROPE). We have not yet started ANY of the paperwork for the spouse visa. Could she come over and visit for a week before any paperwork is submitted? or will this cause problems? as a german citizen my spouse doesnt need a visa to enter as a tourist.

Thanks

Lenin

Answer

As a German citizen, your spouse can enter on visa waiver program for up to 90 days since an immigrant petition has not been filed for her and since her intention is not to immigrate to the U.S. Thus, it is OK if she is entering as a regular visitor (as a tourist, or to meet with friends, or attend a function of a loved one such as birthday or anniversary celebration), etc. It is probably not a good idea to "volunteer" that she is coming primarily to visit her spouse who is a U.S. citizen residing in the U.S., as this could be considered an intention to immigrate to the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora