Immigration Issues/getting married


Good day to you.
Thanks for letting me write to you and ask about this situation. My daughter entered the US with a student visa, graduated last year and presently is working with the opt 1 year permit. She and her boyfriend who is american are planning on getting married. What would be the correct way of doing so? and I30 visa and then an K1 visa?
thanks for your response

If your daughter is in the US now, then she could marry her US fiance in the US and not have to file anything prior to the marraige.  Once married, her U.S. citizen husband can file an immigration petition (I-130) and then your daughter (alien spouse) can file an application to adjust status to permanent resident (I-485) at the same time.  Since she is already in the US there is no need to file for a K1 visa.

Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.