Immigration Issues/travel during my OPT

Question
I am a student with F1 visa and I am planning to apply for OPT after this semester. But I am also planning to go back to Nepal this May. Is there the deadline for applying for OPT cause I was thinking of going to Nepal this May and coming back on the first week of July. I have no idea how to work on this. Can you please help?
Waiting for your reply....

Answer
Hello Neha:

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is work authorization available to international students who have been in valid F-1 status for at least two consecutive semesters and who plan to seek employment in the U.S. in their field of study. The earliest you can apply for OPT is 90 days before your "completion date." The latest date the USCIS will accept your application is 60 days after your completion date. (see your School for more details)
Yes, you may reenter to search for employment, while your OPT application is pending. However, if your OPT has been approved and you depart before you obtain employment, your OPT will end and you cannot reenter unless you have a written job offer.

If you have a job, you may travel and reenter to resume work at the same job.
However, because individual circumstances vary, consult your DSO, embassy, or legal counsel before traveling.
This response is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice.

Annick Koloko, Esq.
(716) 200-1720

Annick Tchokonte-Koloko