Immigration Issues/about my i-130


i came to USA in 2001 as a phd student visa, and i got married with US citizen in 2009, but my wife refused to sign my i-130 form, since she does not want to go to jail, on i-130 form, they said if she did the fake marriage, there will be 5 yrs maximum jail time. i told her we are real marriage, that is just a warning sign. so i find US immigration attorney, my attorney want to talk to us, but my wife refused to see my attorney. how can i do in this case? i told my attorney, i will wait two years and apply my permanet greencard after my two years marriage. but still, my wife will not sign my i-130 at that time, how can i do next? thanks  by the way, i do the joint taxes return and buy a land in our name.


Your attorney should guide you in this matter. Without the cooperation of your spouse, you will not be able to adjust your status as the spouse of a US citizen. Your wife needs to file form I-130 on your behalf to solve this issue.

Good luck.

Annick Koloko, Esq.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.