You are here:

Immigration Issues/Cancelling a green card


My husband and I petitioned my mother-in-law and she eventually stayed with us for 10 months.  There had been family issues between us and now I've decided to withdraw the green card from her.  How do I do this?  She is currently staying outside the country (original homeland).

Hello Maria:

You stated that your filed a petition for your mother in law. Are you referring to the I-130 (petition for an alien relative)?
Did you mother in law actually received a permanent resident card?
If so, your mother in law received such petition as a relative of a US citizen. Grounds of revocation of a permanent resident card are fraud, abandonment or criminal convictions. Personal family matters are not sufficient grounds to revoke your mother-in law's permanent status. However, she could lose her status, if it is established that she abandoned her residency in the United States.


Annick Koloko

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Annick Tchokonte-Koloko


Ms. Koloko's practice includes removal defense, political asylum, federal litigation, consular processing, criminal law, and assistance in business and family based visas. Ms. Koloko is an experienced litigator who practices regularly in courts throughout the United States.


Ms. Koloko had litigated cases before the Immigration Courts as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Ms. Koloko also handled successfully numerous non-immigrant and immigrant applications before USCIS, as well as US Consular Posts.

AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court, Western District of New York Admitted in New York

Ms. Koloko received a JD from the University of Paris, as well as Master of Laws (LLM) from Franklin Pierce Law Center.

©2017 All rights reserved.